New Distribution Center
Hormel Foods Corporation challenged Gleeson to design and construct a state of the art manufacturing facility that is the model for sustainability in the food industry. The result was construction of a new plant to produce the “Hormel Compleats” line of shelf stable, microwaveable meals that is one of the first USDA inspected LEED Gold facilities.
Some highlights of sustainability and energy management include:
1. Gray water system used to flush toilets and to clean waste water screen.
2. A heat recovery system captures heat from process operation and used for heating wash down water and heating office and welfare areas.
3. Skylights were used in non-refrigerated areas to provide natural daylight and reduce energy consumption.
4. 36% of construction materials were recycled material.
5. More than 85% of construction waste was recycled.
This was the first LEED Gold facility for Hormel Foods and Gleeson Constructors.